some thoughts today, suggestions, from a non paranoid and non-hiding person:
Use all systems you like for non-private activity. Consider all this information as public. Live public.
- any cloud is to be considered public, even encrypted clouds
And live private as well…
Trust no one (TNO), as mentioned before and use:
- commonly used open source tools and libs
- consider all other to be open to misuse by companies, advertisers, agencies of all kind
- old, boring, complex, but the _only_ way to go:
- PGP (mail)
- TrueCrypt (file)
- PasswordSafe (password)
- OTR (chat)
- for comfort, use at your own risk: 1password and lastpass
I tested the above and can say, all of those are available on Windows PC, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux/BSD/Unix Systems.
You have to digg into it a while, test it out for you and convince your most important peers to join using them. Once it’s setup it’s pretty easy to use.
Additionally you could:
add basic identity safety via VPN
- don’t build your own VPN, it’s easy to map the traffic of one connection, it’s hard to map it, when the gateway delivers many connections at the same time of a huge number of users.
- it prevents nearby systems (WLAN, hot-spot) from tapping you locally.
- proXPN (full access communication routed via VPN to US or NL Gateway)
- Tor (application session)
for the paranoid:
- disconnect/switch-off the microphone from your online-system and turn your webcam away (or cover it). Switch all back on only for active use periods
- store, view, edit private files with an air-gap to the net; tape, disk, stick not connected to your online-system/network (offline); offline PC inside a metal cage/walls
- refresh your online PC/System constantly, best every day
- best way, use a CD-ROM Live System and restart the system frequently; use open source router firmware and refresh the router fw frequently, Routers are “computers”
- use open source printer firmware for “online”-printers and refresh the printer fw frequently, Printers are “computers”
For paranoid situations:
- Have lots of Cash available
- spare Passport & Papers
- a small day-/toilet-bag for minimalist travel (no electronics, but pen, paper, solar-LED lamp, and a lighter)
- don’t drive cars, unless w/o emergency call, navigation service/features even inactive (best: pre 1990 models)