I’m stuck in thoughts about selecting a very personal tool for the next years. My Nikon D200 is a trusty tool, but you feel the sensor’s age now. My Sigma DP2x doesn’t offer the all-round flexibility due to the crappy Foveon sensor and crappy Camera Firmware (banding noise, slow and messy AF, slow storage).
As quickly as I can decide on what phone, computer, and other stuff to use, I still don’t feel comfortable enough to pick the right photographic tool that allows me to:
- re-focus on the creativity, taking pictures
- trust its solidity of manufacture
- have a full-size 35mm tool-quality feel
- take it with me on most activity to just take a picture when I feel to
- flexibly choose a lens for the planned purpose
- switch between AF and MF, as my eyes get older
- photograph people without frightening them
- pay for it as a hobbyist that can but doesn’t like to throw out all cash
The market lists me:
- Leica M-family, no AF
- Leica X1, too expensive for a fixed lens camera, APS-C
- Fuji X100, too techie UI to concentrate on photography, APS-C
- Fuji X1pro, hmmm, quiet expensive and as improved APS-C, maybe
- Canon DSLR, well I’m kinda Nikon guy, but if Nikon screws, hmmm
- Olympus m43, just too small sensor, else, valid
- Panasonic m43, see Olympus, liked the Oly-colours in exemplary pictures better.
- Pentax K, see Canon, will check the new K-01, missing EVF or flexible Monitor
- Sony, no, no Sony.
- Sigma, no, no more Sigma.
- Ricoh, if I was looking for a PS, the GRD, but I’m not.
- Ricoh GXR, nice concept, but a compromise, standard quality APS-C
- Nikon D5100, very good APS-C, but techie UI
- Nikon D7000, better APS-C, hmmm, maybe, like
- Nikon D800, crazy high price expected, like, but ufff.
- Nikon D700, yeah maybe, not cheap, used, like.
- Nikon D400, may cost as much as a used D700, like but wait
The options I can see:
- Fuji X-1 pro for 2300EUR (including 1x lens, pricy)
- Nikon D7000 for 900EUR (body, used)
- Nikon D800 for 3200EUR (body, pricy)
- Nikon D700 for 2000EUR (body, new)
- Nikon D400 for 1700EUR (body, expected avail Jun12)
- Nikon D5100 for 600EUR (body, new)
Let me recap a dream, “imagine”:
- Leica M9-type camera with AF at half the price
- Nikon D700 mirror-less with EVF
- Fuji X-1 pro full-frame at current Crop-sensor price
useless, won’t happen.
It seems that with the current development of the sensors (high-iso), firmware and CPU (fast), camera pricing (high), the integration of photography with video, the best option to go would be a Nikon D5100 with a superb ultra-wide-angle lens and an excellent external mic.
And for Canon fans, the 600D would be a similar suggested choice.